Re: Huge memory usage spike in OSD on hammer/giant

> Going from 2GB to 8GB is not normal, although some slight bloating is
> expected.

If I recall correctly, Mariusz's cluster had a period of flapping OSDs?

I experienced a  a similar situation using hammer. My OSDs went from 10GB in
RAM in a Healthy state to 24GB RAM + 10GB swap in a recovering state.  I also
could not re-add a node b/c every time I tried OOM killer would kill an OSD
daemon somewhere before the cluster could become healthy again.

Therefore I propose we begin expecting bloating under these circumstances.  :)

> In your case it just got much worse than usual for reasons yet
> unknown.

Not really unknown: B/c 'ceph tell osd.* heap release' freed RAM for Mariusz,
I think we know the reason for so much RAM use is b/c of tcmalloc not freeing
unused memory.   Right?

Here is a related "urgent" and "won't fix" bug to which applies
http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/12681 .  Sage suggests making the heap release
command a cron job .   :)

Have fun!
Chad.