Re: CephFS/Fuse : detect package upgrade to remount

On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 9:00 AM, Gregory Farnum <gfarnum@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 2:33 PM, Florent B <florent@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> I'm not sure how this could work. It'd be nice to smoothly upgrade for
>>> users, but
>>> 1) We don't automatically restart the OSD or monitor daemons on
>>> upgrade, because users want to control how many of their processes are
>>> down at once (and the load spike of a rebooting OSD),
>>> 2) I'm not sure how you could safely/cleanly restart a process that's
>>> serving a filesystem. It's not like we can force users to stop using
>>> the cephfs mountpoint and then reopen all their files after we reboot.
>>> -Greg
>>
>> Hi Greg,
>>
>> I understand.
>> It could be something like this : a command (or temp file) containing
>> *running* version of CephFS (per mount point, or per system).
>> Of course we can then get *installed* version of CephFS.
>> And if different, umount&mount point.
>
> I guess I don't see how that helps compared to just remembering when
> you upgraded the package and comparing that to the running time of the
> ceph-fuse process.

I can see the utility of being able to do this at a moment in time,
rather than having to remember state.  Most orchestration tools will
make it a lot easier to implement a "compare and conditionally
restart" than a "store, upgrade, then compare and conditionally
restart".

Anyway, I think we already provide enough hooks to do this: the client
admin socket has a "version" command (`ceph daemon
/var/run/ceph/<whatever>.asok version`).  The caller just needs to
know how to compare that to a package version.

John