Re: Ceph Tuning + KV backend

You actually can't know what the network contention is like - you see virtual NICs, but those are overprovisioned on the physical hosts, and the backbone between AWS racks/datacenters are overprovisioned as well (likely).
The same goes for CPU and RAM - depending on your kernel and how AWS is set up, it might look like the CPUs in guests are idle, because the workload has left your domain (guest), but the host might be struggling at the same time without you knowing. Sometimes this shows as "steal" time, sometimes it does not. Your guest can be totally idle because it sent the data "out" (to the virtual drive cache, to the network buffers via DMA) but the host still has work to do at that moment.

Rerun the test at different times of day, or create the same setup in a different AWS zone and compare the results.

Not sure what the AWS service level settings are, if there is some kind of resource reservation that's exactly what you should do to get meaningful numbers.

If you want to identify the bottlenecks you need to test all the metrics at the same time - at least latency (ping, or arping if in the same network/subnet) test between the nodes on all networks, some minimalistic fio read+write test on the virtual disk, and a latency test (cyclictest from rt-tests for example) for the CPUs. Whatever jumps up is the bottleneck.

Jan