Re: ensuring write activity is finished

I never played much with rados bench but it doesn't seem to have for example settings for synchronous/asynchronous workloads, thus it probably just benchmarks the OSD throughput and ability to write to journal (in write mode) unless you let it run for a longer time.
So when you stop rados bench the OSDs are actually still flushing the data, exactly as you wrote.

There are parameters filestore_min_sync_interval and filestore_max_sync_interval on OSDs, the cluster should be idle after filestore_max_sync_interval (+ a few seconds to actually write the dirty data + possibly a few seconds for filesystem to flush) has elapsed.

How did you drop caches on the OSD nodes?

I apologize in advance if I'm wrong :-)

Jan