From: Andrija Panic [mailto:andrija.panic@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, September 04, 2015 12:39 PM
To: James (Fei) Liu-SSI
Cc: Quentin Hartman; ceph-users
Subject: Re: [ceph-users] which SSD / experiences with Samsung 843T vs. Intel s3700

James,

there are simple FIO tests or even DD test on Linux, which you can run to see how good SSD will perform as CEPH Journal device (CEPH does writes with O_DIRECT and D_SYNC flags to SSDs) - Samsung 850 perform here extremely bad, as many, many other vendors (D_SYNC kills performance for them...)

If you are not using D_SYNC flag, then Samsung can achieve some nice numbers...

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=4k count=100000 oflag=direct,dsync (where /dev/sda is raw drive, or replace that with mount point i.e. /root/ddfile)

Thanks