From: ceph-users [mailto:ceph-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Haomai Wang
Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2015 7:31 PM
To: Chad William Seys
Cc: ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  RAM usage only very slowly decreases after cluster recovery

Yes, we already notice this, and have PR to fix partial of this I think https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/5451/files

On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 4:59 AM, Chad William Seys <cwseys@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> It appears that OSD daemons only very slowly free RAM after an
> extended period of an unhealthy cluster (shuffling PGs around).
>
> Prior to a power outage (and recovery) around July 25th, the amount of
> RAM used was fairly constant, at most 10GB (out of 24GB).  You can see
> in the attached PNG "osd6_stack2.png" (Week 30) that the amount of
> used RAM on osd06.physics.wisc.edu was holding steady around 7GB.
>
> Around July 25th our Ceph cluster rebooted after a power outage.  Not
> all nodes booted successfully, so Ceph proceeded to shuffle PGs to
> attempt to return to health with the renaming nodes.  You can see in
> "osd6_stack2.png" two purplish spikes showing that the node used
> around 10GB swap space during the recovery period.
>
> Finally the cluster recovered around July 31st.  During that period
> some I had to take some osd daemons out of the pool b/c their nodes
> ran out of swap space and the daemons were killed by the out of memory
> (OOM) kernel feature.  (The recovery period was probably extended by
> me trying to add the daemons/drives back. If I recall correctly that
> is what was occurring during the second swap
> peak.)
>
> This RAM usage pattern is in generalthe same for all the nodes in the cluster.
>
> Almost three weeks later, the amount of RAM used on the node is still
> decreasing, but it has not returned to pre-power outage levels. 15GB
> instead of 7GB.
>
> Why is Ceph using 2x more RAM than it used to in steady state?
>
> Thanks,
> Chad.
>
> (P.S.  It is really unfortunate that Ceph uses more RAM when
> recovering - can lead to cascading failure!)

Best Regards,

Wheat

PLEASE NOTE: The information contained in this electronic mail message is intended only for the use of the designated recipient(s) named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this message in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender by telephone or e-mail (as shown above) immediately and destroy any and all copies of this message in your possession (whether hard copies or electronically stored copies).