Re: migrating cephfs metadata pool from spinning disk to SSD.

On Fri, Aug 7, 2015 at 1:36 AM, Bob Ababurko <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> @John,
>
> Can you clarify which values would suggest that my metadata pool is too
> slow?   I have added a link that includes values for the "op_active" &
> "handle_client_request"....gathered in a crude fashion but should hopefully
> give enough data to paint a picture of what is happening.
>
> http://pastebin.com/5zAG8VXT

Dividing by the first 20s of the second sample period, you're seeing
~750 client metadata operations handled per second, which is kind of a
baseline level of performance (a little better than what I get running
a ceph cluster locally on my workstation).  That's probably
corresponding to roughly the same number of file creates per second --
your workload is very much a small file one, where "files per second"
is a much more meaningful measure than IOPS or MB/s.

It does look like the kind of pattern where you've got a large clutch
of several thousand metadata pool rados ops coming out every few
seconds, then draining out over a few seconds.  Your metadata pool
isn't pathologically slow (it's completing at least hundreds of ops
per second), but it is noticeable that during some periods where
op_active is draining, handle_client_request is not incrementing --
i.e. client metadata ops are stalling while the MDS waits for its
RADOS operations to complete.

I can't say a massive amount beyond that, other than what you'd
already figured out -- it would be worth trying to put some faster
storage in for your metadata pool.

John