migrating cephfs metadata pool from spinning disk to SSD.

I have my first ceph cluster up and running and am currently testing cephfs for file access.  It turns out, I am not getting excellent write performance on my cluster via cephfs(kernel driver) and would like to try to explore moving my cephfs_metadata pool to SSD.

To quickly describe the cluster:

all nodes run Centos 7.1 w/ ceph-0.94.1(hammerhead)
[bababurko@cephosd01 ~]$ uname -r
3.10.0-229.el7.x86_64
[bababurko@cephosd01 ~]$ cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS Linux release 7.1.1503 (Core)

6 OSD nodes w/ 5 x 1TB(7200 rpm/dont have model handy) sata & 1 TB SSD(850 pro) which includes a journal(5GB) for each of the 5 OSD's, so there is much space on the SSD left to create a partition for a SSD pool...at least 900GB per SSD.  Also noteworthy is that these disks are behind a raid controller(LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS2008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2) with each disk configured as raid 0.
3 MON nodes
1 MDS node

My writes are not going as I would expect wrt to IOPS(50-1000 IOPs) & write throughput( ~25MB/s max).  I'm interested in understanding what it takes to create a SSD pool that I can then migrate the current Cephfs_metadata pool to.  I suspect that the spinning disk metadata pool is a bottleneck and I want to try to get the max performance out of this cluster to prove that we would build out a larger version.  One caveat is that I have copied about 4 TB of data to the cluster via cephfs and dont want to lose the data so I obviously need to keep the metadata intact.

If anyone has done this OR understands how this can be done, I would appreciate the advice.

thanks in advance,
Bob