Re: Removing data from SSD takes too long for 4k object

Hello,

On Thu, 6 Aug 2015 21:41:00 +0000 Sai Srinath Sundar-SSI wrote:

> Hi,
> I was using RADOS bench to test on a single node ceph cluster with a
> dedicated SSD as storage for my OSD. I created a pool to do the same and
> filled up my ssd until maximum capacity using RADOS bench with my object
> size as 4k. On removing the pool, I noticed that it seems to take a
> really long time for the OSD to delete the pool. In fact it seems to
> delete at the rate of ~60 GB an hour. On trying this with 4MB objects
> however, the same process only takes a couple of minutes. Has anyone
> else observed similar behavior like this and can comment on the same?
> Thanks Sai Srinath Sundar

Deletion of objects is (among other Ceph operations) a very costly
process.
People run into this frequently and it has been discussed here.

The deletion of an object comes with a "fixed cost" (I/O, updating maps)
and with 4KB objects you have 1000 times more objects than with 4MB ones.

You should be happy that isn't 1000 times slower (as far as I can see from
your mail).

Regards,

Christian
chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Communications