OSD Connections with Public and Cluster Networks

Greetings,

I am working on standing up a fresh Ceph object storage cluster and have some questions about what I should be seeing as far as inter-OSD connectivity.  I have spun up my monitor and radosgw nodes as VMs, all running on a 192.168.10.0/24 network (all IP ranges have been changed to protect the innocent).  I also have four physical servers to serve as my storage nodes.  These physical servers have two bonded interfaces, one IP’d on the public network (192.168.10.0/24) and one IP’d on a cluster/private network (172.22.20.0/24).  I have added the following lines to my ceph.conf:

public network = 192.168.10.0/24

cluster network = 172.22.20.0/24

So far, so good.  Everything in the cluster starts up, all OSDs are up and in, and ‘ceph –s’ shows a happy, healthy cluster.  I can create users and otherwise do all the normal things that one would expect.

So why am I writing?

When looking at my network connections on my storage servers, I was expecting to see a few OSD <-> Mon/RGW connections on the public network, then a much larger number of OSD <-> OSD connections on the cluster network.  What I actually see is an equal number of connections between OSDs on both the public and cluster networks (in addition to OSD <-> Mon/RGW connections).  My question – is this normal?  If so, can someone explain what traffic is moving between OSDs on the public network?

Based on some additional testing (read: bringing down the cluster interface), this causes all OSDs on that node to be marked down, so there’s evidence to support all heartbeat traffic moving over the interface.  I just want to ensure that what I’m seeing is normal and that I haven’t otherwise botched the configuration.

Many thanks,

Brian Felton