Re: backing Hadoop with Ceph ??

On 20/07/15 10:29, Thomas Lemarchand wrote:
Hi Shane, list,

I have no knowledge of HDFS at all. Why would someone choose CephFS
instead of HDFS for Hadoop ?

HDFS is meant for Hadoop right ?

I may have to work on Hadoop in a few months, so I'd like to be able to
do the right choice.

One common motivation for using something other than HDFS is that a site has an existing filesystem for other applications, and wants to plug Hadoop into that instead of creating a separate HDFS silo. Different distributed FS options (HDFS, cephfs, lustre etc) all have different price/performance tradeoffs too, and some folks have more I/O intensive workloads than others -- it's just like how you shop for storage with any other application.

John