Re: backing Hadoop with Ceph ??

Hi Shane, list,

I have no knowledge of HDFS at all. Why would someone choose CephFS
instead of HDFS for Hadoop ?

HDFS is meant for Hadoop right ?

I may have to work on Hadoop in a few months, so I'd like to be able to
do the right choice.

--
Thomas Lemarchand
Cloud Solutions SAS - Responsable des systèmes d'information

On mer., 2015-07-15 at 08:57 -0700, Shane Gibson wrote:

> We are in the (very) early stages of considering testing backing
> Hadoop via Ceph - as opposed to HDFS.  I've seen a few very vague
> references to doing that, but haven't found any concrete info
> (architecture, configuration recommendations, gotchas, lessons
> learned, etc...).   I did find the ceph.com/docs/ info [1] which
> discusses use of CephFS for backing Hadoop - but this would be
> foolish for production clusters given that CephFS isn't yet
> considered production quality/grade.
>
> Does anyone in the ceph-users community have experience with this
> that they'd be willing to share?   Preferably ... via use of Ceph -
> not via CephFS...but I am interested in any CephFS related
> experiences too.
>
> If we were to do this, and Ceph proved out as a backing store to
> Hadoop - there is the potential to be creating a fairly large multi
> -Petabyte (100s ??) class backing store for Ceph.  We do a very large
> amount of analytics on a lot of data sets for security trending
> correlations, etc...
>
> Our current Ceph experience is limited to a few small (90 x 4TB OSD
> size) clusters - which we are working towards putting in production
> for Glance/Cinder backing and for Block storage for various large
> storage need platforms (eg software and package repo/mirrors,
> etc...).
>
> Thanks in  advance for any input, thoughts, or pointers ...
>
> ~~shane
>
> [1] http://ceph.com/docs/master/cephfs/hadoop/ ;;
>

> --
> believed to be clean.