Re: osd_agent_max_ops relating to number of OSDs in the cache pool

Nick Fisk <nick@...> writes:

> Hi All,
>
> I’m doing some testing on the new High/Low speed cache tiering flushing
and I’m trying to get my head
> round the effect that changing these 2 settings have on the flushing
speed.  When setting the
> osd_agent_max_ops to 1, I can get up to 20% improvement before the
osd_agent_max_high_ops value kicks in
> for high speed flushing. Which is great for bursty workloads.
>
> As I understand it, these settings loosely effect the number of concurrent
operations the cache pool
> OSD’s will flush down to the base pool.
>
> I may have got completely the wrong idea in my head but I can’t understand
how a static default setting will
> work with different cache/base ratios. For example if I had a relatively
small number of very fast cache
> tier OSD’s (PCI-E SSD perhaps) and a much larger number of base tier
OSD’s, would the value need to be
> increased to ensure sufficient utilisation of the base tier and make sure
that the cache tier doesn’t
> fill up too fast?
>
> Alternatively where the cache tier is based on spinning disks or where the
base tier is not as comparatively
> large, this value may need to be reduced to stop it saturating the disks.
>
> Any Thoughts?
>
> Nick

Hi Nick,
The best way is that the working space does not exceed the volume of the
tier pool.
If the workspace does not fit in the tier pool, the average rates should not
exceed the performance of base pool.

Cordialement,
David Casier.