Block Storage Image Creation Process

Hi  Ceph-Users,

I am quite new to Ceph Storage (storage tech in general). I have been investigating Ceph to understand the precise process clearly.

Q: What actually happens When I create a block image of certain size?

The ceph documentation from  http://docs.ceph.com/docs/v0.67.9/man/8/rbd/ says, the block devices (images)
are stripped over objects and stored in a RADOS object store.

This is the process of storage allocation. So, do objects that are broken down allocate space (themselves) where they reside? Or are these objects (state and behavior ) information kept (scattered) into the OSDs (eventually into the disks)? Or does the monitor server keep these info and allocate those positions (locations) in Object storage disks so that later on some data can be put into those locations?

Any precise documentation or explanation will help.

--
Sincerely,
Jiwan Ninglekhu