Re: Redhat Storage Ceph Storage 1.3 released

Hi,

On 02/07/2015 08:16, Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG wrote:
> Hi,
> Am 01.07.2015 um 23:35 schrieb Loic Dachary:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The details of the differences between the Hammer point releases and the RedHat Ceph Storage 1.3 can be listed as described at
>>
>> http://www.spinics.net/lists/ceph-devel/msg24489.html reconciliation between hammer and v0.94.1.2
>>
>> The same analysis should be done for https://github.com/ceph/ceph/releases/tag/v0.94.1.3 which presumably matches RedHat Ceph Storage 1.3.
>
> can you clarify this? In the past the ceph inktank releases were exactly
> based on git tags. Is there now a "hidden" git repo for the ceph
> releases done by redhat? Or how can we understand this?

Here is how I understand it (please keep in mind that Ken Dreyer is the ultimate authority on that matter and may prove me wrong ;-). The Red Hat Storage 1.3 packages are based on Hammer v0.94.1 with additional patches. When you download the Red Hat Storage 1.3 source packages, you have the Hammer v0.94.1 sources plus these patches, in the relevant RPM directory. If you clone Hammer v0.94.1, and you add each patch as an individual commit, you will end up with that you can find in https://github.com/ceph/ceph/releases/tag/v0.94.1.3.

This tag is not official in the sense that not is it clear if it will be used in the future or how. I'm using it because it currently is maintained by Ken and saves me the trouble of going through the download, apply patches routine just for the purpose of running git cherry and spot the patches that are in Red Hat Storage 1.3 and not yet in scheduled for Hammer v0.94.3.

The process and rationale governing Red Hat decision to add a patch to the RPM package instead of waiting for the next Hammer release is not public. The patches included in the official Ubuntu, Debian, CentOS etc. packages diverge from the Hammer/Firefly release in the same way and I don't think it can be prevented, because the Ceph release cycle is and will always be different from the distribution lifecycle.

What I find very important though is to continuously observe and reduce the difference between what you can find in a distribution and the official Ceph release (or point release) it is based on. This is my motivation for analyzing the differences and I do it for Red Hat because this is the environment I know best. It should also be done for SUSE and others.

FYI here is the analysis I did yesterday: http://www.spinics.net/lists/ceph-devel/msg25069.html. This is the inventory and analysis of the divergences.

Cheers

> Stefan
>

>> Cheers
>>
>> On 01/07/2015 23:02, Vickey Singh wrote:
>>> Hello Ceph lovers
>>>
>>> You would have noticed that recently RedHat has released RedHat Ceph Storage 1.3
>>>
>>> http://redhatstorage.redhat.com/2015/06/25/announcing-red-hat-ceph-storage-1-3/
>>>
>>> My question is
>>>
>>> - What's the exact version number of OpenSource Ceph is provided with this Product
>>> - RHCS 1.3 Features that are mentioned in the blog , will all of them present in open source Ceph.
>>>

>>> Regards
>>> Vickey

Loïc Dachary, Artisan Logiciel Libre