Re: Combining MON & OSD Nodes

On 06/26/2015 08:23 AM, Alex Gorbachev wrote:
> I would not do this, MONs are very important and any load or stability
> issues on OSD nodes would interfere with the cluster uptime.  I found
> it acceptable to run MONs on virtual machines with local storage.  But
> since MONs oversee OSD nodes, I believe combining them is a recipe for
> disaster, FWIW.

I fully agree. Technically it COULD work, but I would vote against it.

Three simple Atom [0] machines with a local SSD will do the job just
fine for most smaller Ceph cluster.

Wido

[0]: http://www.supermicro.nl/products/system/1U/5018/SYS-5018A-TN4.cfm

> Regards,
> Alex
>
> On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 12:37 PM, Shane Gibson
> <Shane_Gibson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> For a small deployment this might be ok - but as mentioned, mon logging
>> might be an issue.  Consider the following:
>>
>>   * disk resources for mon logging (maybe dedicate a disk to logging, to
>> avoid disk IO contention for OSDs)
>>   * CPU resources, some Filesystem types for OSDs can eat a lot of CPU
>> (that' good, they're doing hard work, your using those resources to gain
>> performance!!)
>>   * consider memory pressure of both mons and OSDs - Filesystem cache in
>> memory is a good thing, are you going to be impacting that w/ comingling
>> mons?
>>
>> If you have fairly decent machines with more cores/HTs than OSD disks, you
>> probably don't have a huge CPU issue to worry about (...probably...).
>>
>> ~~shane
>>
>> On 6/25/15, 9:23 AM, "ceph-users on behalf of Quentin Hartman"
>> <ceph-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of
>> qhartman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> The biggest downside that I've found is the log volume that mons create eats
>> a lot of io. I was running mons on my OSDs previously, but in my current
>> dpeloyment I've moved them to other hardware and noticed a perceptible load
>> reduction on those nodes that were formerly running mons.
>>
>> QH
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 10:21 AM, Lazuardi Nasution <mrxlazuardin@xxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm looking for pros and cons of combining MON and OSD functionality on
>>> the same nodes. Mostly recommended configuration is to have dedicated, odd
>>> number MON nodes. What I'm thinking is more like single node deployment but
>>> consist more than one node, if we have 3 nodes we have 3 MONs with 3 OSDs.
>>> Since MON will only consume small resources, I think MON load will not
>>> degrade OSD performance significantly. If we have odd number of nodes, we
>>> can still maintain the quorum of MON with this way. Any idea?
>>>
>>> Best regards,

Wido den Hollander
42on B.V.
Ceph trainer and consultant