Re: Explanation for "ceph osd set nodown" and "ceph osd cluster_snap"

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 11:48 PM, Jan Schermer <jan@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 1) Flags available in ceph osd set are
>
> pause|noup|nodown|noout|noin|nobackfill|norecover|noscrub|nodeep-scrub|notieragent
>
> I know or can guess most of them (the docs are a “bit” lacking)
>
> But with "ceph osd set nodown” I have no idea what it should be used for -
> to keep hammering a faulty OSD?

This is a cluster recovery tool you don't want to mess with. There are
certain cases in large clusters where it can/has previously been able
to get into a death spiral: high load causes OSDs to get marked down
by peers, which causes more work for the peers, which increases the
load, which causes them to get marked down, which...
If you set nodown because you are confident the slowness is merely a
load issue and not caused by OSDs actually breaking, you prevent that
incorrect mark down from generating more work for the system.

> 2) looking through the docs there I found reference to "ceph osd
> cluster_snap”
> http://ceph.com/docs/v0.67.9/rados/operations/control/
>
> what does it do? how does that work? does it really work? ;-) I got a few
> hits on google which suggest it might not be something that really works,
> but looks like something we could certainly use

You can look at http://www.spinics.net/lists/ceph-devel/msg16241.html
and its follow-ups for some discussion of cluster snap. You generally
shouldn't use it — I think it only works on btrfs, it doesn't do
anything for the monitors, and it's not something we test.
-Greg