Re: Hardware cache settings recomendation

Cache on top of the data drives (not journal) will not help in most cases, those writes are already buffered in the OS - so unless your OS is very light on memory and flushing constantly it will have no effect, it just adds overhead in case a flush comes. I haven’t tested this extensively with Ceph, though.

Cache enabled on journal drive _could_ help if your SSD is very slow (or if you don’t have SSD for journal at all), and if it is large enough (more than the active journal size) it could prolong the life of your SSD - depending on how and when the cache starts to flush. I know from experience that write cache on Areca controller didn't flush at all until it hit a watermark (50% capacity default or something) and it will be faster than some SSDon their own. Some SSD have higher IOPS than the cache can achieve, but you likely won’t saturate that with Ceph.

Another thing is write cache on the drives themselves - I’d leave that on disabled (which is probably the default) unless the drive in question has capacitors to flush the cache in case of power failure. Controllers usually have a whitelist of devices that respect flushes on which the write cache is default=enabled, but in case of for example Dell Perc you would need to have Dell original drives or enable it manually.

YMMV - i’ve hit the controller cache IOPS limit in the past with cheap Dell Perc (H310 was it?) that did ~20K IOPS top on one SSD drive, while the drive itself did close to 40K. On my SSDs, disabling write cache helps latency (good for journal) bud could be troubling for the SSD lifetime.

In any case I don’t think you would saturate either with Ceph, so I recommend you just test the latency with write cache enabled/disabled on the controller and pick the one that gives the best numbers

Ceph recommended way is to use everything as passthrough (initiator/target mode) or JBOD (RAID0 with single drives on some controllers), so I’d stick with that.

Jan