Re: removed_snaps in ceph osd dump?

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 11:53 AM, Jan Schermer <jan@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Well, I see mons dropping out when deleting large amount of snapshots, and it leats a _lot_ of CPU to delete them

Well, you're getting past my expertise on the subject, but deleting
snapshots can sometimes be expensive, yes. If monitors are dropping
out that probably means they're getting swamped by the OSDs sending in
updates; you might want to adjust your reporting config options
(osd_mon_report_interval_max, osd_mon_report_interval_min, and
osd_pg_stat_report_interval_max).

> , I also had to manually schedule “compact” for the leveldb on mons as it stopped compacting itself. But that doesn’t impact IO as far as I know (or does the mon speed actually impact IO?).

It own't impact IO generally, unless it's blocking cluster updates.

> I can see lots of layers on the snapshotted volumes as well as extremely large overhead with snapshots (2.5TB volume that actually occupies 7TB(*3) of space until even the HEAD is deleted), but that’s a different story I guess…

It's possible that you've just got enough snapshots the OSDs haven't
ever caught up with deleting them...not sure. :/

What version of Ceph are you currently running?