Re: 6/10/2015 performance meeting recording

Hi Mark,

I've just watched the 1st part regarding the cache tiering and found it very
interesting. I think you guys have hit the nail on the head regarding the
unnecessary promotions as well as hurting performance on the current in
flight IOs, they also have an impact on future IO's that need to be
re-promoted due to cache pollution. I have found that having a larger cache
tier of slower disks gives better performance overall compared to a smaller
SSD cache tier currently.

I don't know if you saw my post from a couple of months ago, but I also
found dropping the RBD object size had a very positive effect on latency and
also made the cache much more effective:-

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.ceph.user/17965

I'm also wondering if some sort of full block proxy write would be worth
implementing for erasure coded pools? Similar to how full stripe writes work
for RAID5/6. This would most likely help during sequential writes onto a
cached erasure pool. RBD caching in front of the cache tier could assemble
the writes ready for this.

Nick