Re: Multiple journals and an OSD on one SSD doable?

> On 08 Jun 2015, at 10:40, Christian Balzer <chibi@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 8 Jun 2015 10:12:02 +0200 Jan Schermer wrote:

>>> Or in his case _not_ have them on the low endurance EVOs. ^_-
>>
>> Not necesarrily - drives have to write the data sooner or later, writing
>> the same block twice doesn’t always mean draining DWPD rating at twice
>> the rate, in fact if it writes with 32kb blocks it might almost the same
>> because SSDc have much larger blocks anyway…
>>
>> if there is an async IO queued (data) and another synchronous IO comes
>> for the journal, then it might be a single atomic operation on the SSD
>> because it has to flush everything it has.
>>
> While true, there are a number of might/maybes in there and with those
> SSDs in particular I'd probably opt for anything that can reduce writes.
> Never mind the less than stellar expected performance with a co-located
> journal.
>
> All that of course if he can afford DC S3700s for OS/journal.

True. We might know how it should work, but there’a s lot of magic in the firmware these days, without real benchmarks it is a guesswork and with benchmarks it’s indicative only for the one SSD/firmware/revision anyway...
For exmaple from what I can see I get sometimes 50% compression on my workloads, but still about 20% write amplification (on the SSD alone)

Some interesting SMART metrics:

This should indicate the real wear:		100 Gigabytes_Erased        0x0032   000   000   000    Old_age   Always       -       62936
Bytes written after compression:		233 SandForce_Internal      0x0000   000   000   000    Old_age   Offline      -       40464
Written bytes from OS perspective:	 241 Lifetime_Writes_GiB     0x0032   000   000   000    Old_age   Always       -       53826

I wonder if it’s “write-mostly” for everyone… :)
242 Lifetime_Reads_GiB      0x0032   000   000   000    Old_age   Always       -       13085

>>> I can confirm that from my old (emperor days) comparison between EXT4
>>> and XFS.
>>
>> Do you have the benchmark somewhere? This wasn’t really what I was
>> testing, some number would be very helpful… Did you test the various
>> ext4 options?
>>
> Unfortunately, no. At least not in any meaningful detail.
> But what I have left and remember matches that ratio you're seeing.
>
> I think the most significant change was to give EXT4 a maximum sized
> journal.

I tested it with journal_async_commit (which implies journal_checksum) - that’s something I am really excited about and I think this made the most difference.

If any devs are reading - when we have 3 replica durability, each replica is running in its’ own datacentre - why should we bother with fsync() and stuff at all? If we had an option to just turn it off and buffer everything it would make everything run much happier. I of course assume operators know what they are doing and not just blindly “speeding” everything up… (innodb_flush_log_ at_trx_commit=0 is so common… and so sad…)