Re: Multiple journals and an OSD on one SSD doable?

Hello Cameron,

On Mon, 8 Jun 2015 13:13:33 +1200 Cameron.Scrace@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi Christian,
>
> Yes we have purchased all our hardware, was very hard to convince
> management/finance to approve it, so some of the stuff we have is a bit
> cheap.

Unfortunate. Both the done deal and the cheapness.

> We have four storage nodes each with 6 x 6TB Western Digital Red SATA
> Drives (WD60EFRX-68M) and 6 x 1TB Samsung EVO 850s SSDs and 2x250GB
> Samsung EVO 850s (for OS raid).
> CPUs are Intel Atom C2750  @ 2.40GHz (8 Cores) with 32 GB of RAM.
> We have a 10Gig Network.

I wish there was a nice way to say this, but it unfortunately boils down to
a "You're fooked".

There have been many discussions about which SSDs are usable with Ceph,
very recently as well.
Samsung EVOs (the non DC type for sure) are basically unusable for
journals. See the recent thread:
 Possible improvements for a slow write speed (excluding independent SSD journals)
and:
http://www.sebastien-han.fr/blog/2014/10/10/ceph-how-to-test-if-your-ssd-is-suitable-as-a-journal-device/
for reference.

I presume your intention for the 1TB SSDs is for a SSD backed pool?
Note that the EVOs have a pretty low (guaranteed) endurance, so aside from
needing journal SSDs that actually can do the job, you're looking at
wearing them out rather quickly (depending on your use case of course).

Now with SSD based OSDs or even HDD based OSDs with SSD journals that CPU
looks a bit anemic.

More below:
> The two options we are considering are:
>
> 1) Use two of the 1TB SSDs for the spinning disk journals (3 each) and
> then use the remaining 900+GB of each drive as an OSD to be part of the
> cache pool.
>
> 2) Put the spinning disk journals on the OS SSDs and use the 2 1TB SSDs
> for the cache pool.

Cache pools aren't all that speedy currently (research the ML archives),
even less so with the SSDs you have.

Christian

chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Communications
http://www.gol.com/