Re: apply/commit latency

You say “even when the cluster is doing nothing” - Are you seeing those numbers on a completely idle cluster?
Even SSDs can go to sleep, as can CPUs (throttle/sleep states), memory gets swapped/paged out, tcp connections die, cache is empty... measuring a completely idle cluster is not always representative.
In my cluster I have seen these number go high and low without any measurable performance impact, but in my case it’s somewhat more CPU-bound than you are on a much newer version.

I suggest you measure the performance of a RBD device with fio or such, latencies are much more important than throughput (until throughput becomes the bottleneck).

Jan