apply/commit latency

Hi folks,

I've always been confused about the apply/commit latency numbers in "ceph osd perf" output. I only know for sure that when they get too high, performance is bad.

My deployments have seen many different versions of ceph. Pre 0.80.7, I've seen those numbers being pretty high. After upgrading to 0.80.7, all of a sudden, commit latency of all OSDs drop to 0-1ms, and apply latency remains pretty low most of the time.

Now I'm trying hammer in a new cluster, and even when the cluster is doing nothing, I see commit latency being as high as 20ms, and apply latency being 200+ms, which seems a bit off to me.

Any ideas how these numbers changed over versions?

Thanks.
-Simon