From: Eric Eastman [mailto:eric.eastman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2015 10:56 PM
To: WD Hwang/WHQ/Wistron
Cc: Ceph Users
Subject: Re:  umount stuck on NFS gateways switch over by using Pacemaker

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 1:33 AM, <WD_Hwang@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
>   I am testing NFS over RBD recently. I am trying to build the NFS HA environment under Ubuntu 14.04 for testing, and the packages version information as follows:
> - Ubuntu 14.04 : 3.13.0-32-generic(Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS)
> - ceph : 0.80.9-0ubuntu0.14.04.2
> - ceph-common : 0.80.9-0ubuntu0.14.04.2
> - pacemaker (git20130802-1ubuntu2.3)
> - corosync (2.3.3-1ubuntu1)
> PS: I also tried ceph/ceph-common(0.87.1-1trusty and 0.87.2-1trusty) on 3.13.0-48-generic(Ubuntu 14.04.2) server and I got same situations.
>
>   The environment has 5 nodes int the Ceph cluster (3 MONs and 5 OSDs) and two NFS gateway (nfs1 and nfs2) for high availability. I issued the command, 'sudo service pacemaker stop', on 'nfs1' to force these resources stopped and transferred to 'nfs2', and vice versa.
>
> When the two nodes are up, I issue 'sudo service pacemaker stop' on
> one node, the other node will take over all resources. Everything
> looks fine. Then I wait about 30 minutes and do nothing to the NFS
> gateways. I repeated the previous steps to test fail over procedure. I
> found the process code of 'umount' is 'D' (uninterruptible sleep), the
> 'ps' showed the following result
>
> root 21047 0.0 0.0 17412 952 ? D 16:39 0:00 umount /mnt/block1
>
> Have any idea to solve or work around? Because of 'umount' stuck, both 'reboot' and 'shutdown' command can't work well. So if I don't wait 20 minutes for 'umount' time out, the only way I can do is powering off the server directly.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.

I am not sure how to get out of the stuck umount, but you can skip the shutdown scripts that call the umount during a reboot using:

reboot -fn

This can cause data loss, as it is like a power cycle, so it is best to run sync before running the reboot -fn command to flush out buffers.

Sometime when a system is really hung, reboot -fn does not work, but this seems to always work if run as root:

echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq
echo b > /proc/sysrq-trigger

Eric