Re: questions about CephFS

[ Adding ceph-users to the CC ]

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 8:22 PM, zhao.mingyue@xxxxxxx
<zhao.mingyue@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi:
>
>     I'm learning CephFS recently, and now I have some question about it;
>

> 1. I've seen the typical configuration is 'single MDS',and found some
> resources from Internet which said 'single MDS' is stable;
>

>  If lots of I/O requests send to the only MDS, performance of the whole
> filesystem would be not very well, isn't it?

Yes, the metadata throughput of a single MDS is a potential limiting
factor right now. Keep in mind that the CephFS protocol is very
different from many other distributed filesystems so this is likely to
be less of a problem than it is for others — clients can satisfy
*many* operations from their local cache so it's usually only on first
access or flushes that a metadata request has to go to the MDS.

> 2. Compared to 'single MDS',' several MDS' maybe is not stable enough
> ------can you give me a detailed explaination? such as :according to what
> come to this conclusion,what is the unstable element……

A multi-MDS system has to do a lot of coordination work between the
MDSes that a single-MDS system does not. These code paths are less
tested and less stable than the ones between clients and the single
MDS.
-Greg