Re: Cost- and Powerefficient OSD-Nodes

FYI, most Juniper switches hash LAGs on IP+port, so you'd get somewhat better performance than you would with simple MAC or IP hashing.  10G is better if you can afford it, though.

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 9:55 AM Nick Fisk <nick@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]

It's all about the total latency per operation. Most IO sizes over 10GB
don't make much difference to the Round Trip Time. But comparatively even
128KB IO's over 1GB take quite a while. For example ping a host with a
payload of 64k over 1GB and 10GB networks and look at the difference in
times. Now double this for Ceph (Client->Prim OSD->Sec OSD)

When you are using SSD journals you normally end up with write latency of
3-4ms over 10GB, 1GB networking will probably increase this by another
2-4ms. IOPs=1000/latency

I guess it all really depends on how important performance is

> >> 250GB SSD - Journal (MX200 250GB with extreme over-provisioning,
> >> staggered deployment, monitored for TBW-Value)
>
> > Not sure if that SSD would be suitable for a journal. I would
> > recommend going with one of the Intel 3700's. You could also save a
> > bit and run the OS from it.
>
> I am still on the fence about ditching the SATA-DOM and install the OS on
the
> SSD as well.
>
> If the MX200 turn out to be unsuited, I can still use them for other
purposes
> and fetch some better SSDs later.
>
> >> Seagate Surveillance HDD (ST3000VX000) 7200rpm
>
> > Would also possibly consider a more NAS/Enterprise friendly HDD
>
> I thought video-surveillance HDDs would be a nice fit, they are build to
run
> 24/7 and to write multiple data-stream at the same time to disk.
> Also cheap, which enables me to get more nodes from the start.

Just had a look and the Seagate Surveillance disks spin at 7200RPM (missed
that you put that there), whereas the WD ones that I am familiar with spin
at 5400rpm, so not as bad as I thought.

So probably ok to use, but I don't see many people using them for Ceph/
generic NAS so can't be sure there's no hidden gotchas.

> > CPU might be on the limit, but would probably suffice. If anything you
> > won't max out all the cores, but the overall speed of the CPU might
> > increase latency, which may or may not be a problem for you.
>
> Do you have some values, so that I can imagine the difference?
> I also maintain another cluster with dual-socket hexa-core Xeon
12osd-nodes
> and all the CPUs do is idling. And the 2x10G LACP Link is usually never
used
> above 1 Gbit.
> Hence the focus on cost-efficiency with this build.

Sorry nothing in detail, I did actually build a ceph cluster on the same 8
core CPU as you have listed. I didn't have any performance problems but I do
remember with SSD journals when doing high queue depth writes I could get
the CPU quite high. It's like what I said before about the 1vs10Gb
networking, how important is performance, If using this CPU gives you an
extra 1ms of latency per OSD, is that acceptable?

Agree 12cores (guessing 2.5Ghz each) will be an overkill for just 12 OSDs. I
have a very similar spec and see exactly the same as you, but will change
the nodes to 1CPU each when I expand and use the spare CPU's for the new
nodes.

I'm using this:-

http://www.supermicro.nl/products/system/4U/F617/SYS-F617H6-FTPTL_.cfm

Mainly because of rack density, which I know doesn't apply to you. But the
fact they share PSU's/Rails/Chassis helps reduce power a bit and drives down
cost

I can get 14 disks in each and they have 10GB on board. The SAS controller
is flashable to JBOD mode.

Maybe one of the other Twin solutions might be suitable?