Re: Having trouble getting good performance

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 4:30 PM, Nick Fisk <nick@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I suspect you are hitting problems with sync writes, which Ceph isn't known
> for being the fastest thing for.

There's "not being the fastest thing" and "an expensive cluster of
hardware that performs worse than a single SATA drive." :-(

> I'm not a big expert on ZFS but I do know that a SSD ZIL is normally
> recommended to allow fast sync writes.

The VM already has an ZIL vdisk on an SSD on the KVM host.

You may be thinking of NFS traffic, which is where ZFS and sync writes
have such a long and difficult history.  As far as I know, zfs receive
operations do not do sync writes (except possibly at the beginning and
end to establish barriers) since the operation as a whole already has
fundamental transactionality built in.

> SSD Ceph journals may give you around 200-300 iops

SSD journals are not an option for this cluster.  We just need to get
the most out of what we have.

There are some fio results showing this problem isn't limited/specific
to ZFS which I will post in a separate message shortly.

Thanks!