Re: Disabling btrfs snapshots for existing OSDs

I have done this via a restart of the OSDs after adding the configuration option in ceph.conf. It works fine. My Ceph version is 0.80.5.

One thing worth to note is that you'll sooner or later want to remove stale snap_* subvolumes as leaving them will cause a slow increase of disk usage on your OSD filesystem as the snapshots will hold references to extents holding data that has been changed since.

Regards
Chris

czw., 23.04.2015 o 09:30 użytkownik Christian Balzer <chibi@xxxxxxx> napisał:

Hello,

On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 09:10:13 +0200 Burkhard Linke wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a small number of OSDs running Ubuntu Trusty 14.04 and Ceph
> Firefly 0.80.9. Due to stability issues I would like to disable the
> btrfs snapshot feature (filestore btrfs snap = false).
>
> Is it possible to apply this change to an existing OSD (stop OSD, change
> config, restart OSD), or do I need to recreate the OSD from scratch?

While I don't know if you can change this mid-race so to speak (but I
would assume yes, as it should affect only new snapshots), what I do know
is that in all likelihood you won't need to stop the OSD to apply the
change.
As in, use the admin socket interface to inject the new setting into the
respective OSD.
Keeping ceph.conf up to date (if only for reference) is of course helpful,
too.

Christian
--
Christian Balzer        Network/Systems Engineer
chibi@xxxxxxx           Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Communications