Re: Tiering to object storage

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 3:31 PM, Blair Bethwaite
<blair.bethwaite@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I understand the present pool tiering infrastructure is intended to work for
>>2 layers? We're presently considering backup strategies for large pools and
> wondered how much of a stretch it would be to have a base tier sitting in
> e.g. an S3 store... I imagine a pg in the base+1 tier mapping straight to a
> bucket/container, so placement seems pretty straight forward.
>
> Is this a capability that's not far away or even very close today?
>
> Hopefully this isn't too naïve! I understand that as a backup strategy it's
> likely useless without write-through all the way to the base, but I am
> thinking of interDC fiber rather than Internet.

It's definitely not a naive thought — a system supporting this was our
initial design — but the cache pool system as it exists today is
nowhere close to supporting third-party storage systems. :( It would
require a bunch of work to go from the existing cache pools with an
embedded "agent" to a tiering system with redirects and an external
agent that can make layer movement decisions and execute them.
-Greg