Tiering to object storage

Hi all,

I understand the present pool tiering infrastructure is intended to work for >2 layers? We're presently considering backup strategies for large pools and wondered how much of a stretch it would be to have a base tier sitting in e.g. an S3 store... I imagine a pg in the base+1 tier mapping straight to a bucket/container, so placement seems pretty straight forward.

Is this a capability that's not far away or even very close today?

Hopefully this isn't too naïve! I understand that as a backup strategy it's likely useless without write-through all the way to the base, but I am thinking of interDC fiber rather than Internet.

Cheers,
Blair