Re: Heads up: libvirt produces unusable images from RBD pool on Ubuntu trusty

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 1:02 PM, Wido den Hollander <wido@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 04/22/2015 12:07 PM, Florian Haas wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I don't think this has been posted to this list before, so just
>> writing it up so it ends up in the archives.
>>
>> tl;dr: Using RBD storage pools with libvirt is currently broken on
>> Ubuntu trusty (LTS), and any other platform using libvirt 1.2.2.
>>
>> In libvirt 1.2.2, the rbd_create3 function is invoked, on volume
>> creation from a pool, with the stripe_count and stripe_unit parameters
>> reversed. So if you have an rbd storage pool, and you do "virsh
>> vol-create-as" or something equivalent, then instead of a stripe count
>> of one and a stripe size of 4MB, you get 4194304 1-byte stripes.
>> Needless to say, this renders the volume excruciatingly slow to the
>> point of not being usable. Volume deletion also takes on the order of
>> minutes even for an empty volume.
>>
>> This issue was introduced in libvirt 1.2.1, and was fixed for 1.2.4,
>> but Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (which is on 1.2.2) evidently never backported
>> that fix.
>>

> Oops... Did I do this? I think so. I messed up with the arguments.
>
> My apologies!

No need to apologize; after all it *is* fixed upstream, and AFAICT no
other major distros are affected. It's just that Ubuntu really need to
backport that one-line fix if they want libvirt RBD pool functionality
to work in their current LTS.

I'm not entirely sure, though, why virStorageBackendRBDCreateImage()
enables striping unconditionally; could you explain the reasoning
behind that?

Cheers,
Florian