Re: Ceph on Solaris / Illumos

Performance on ZFS on Linux (ZoL) seems to be fine, as long as you use the CEPH generic filesystem implementation (writeahead) and not the specific CEPH ZFS implementation, CoW snapshoting that CEPH does with ZFS support compiled in absolutely kills performance. I suspect the same would go with CEPH on Illumos on ZFS. Otherwise it is comparable to XFS in my own testing once tweaked.

There are a few oddities/quirks with ZFS performance that need to be tweaked when using it with CEPH, and yea enabling SA on xattr is one of them.

1. ZFS recordsize - The ZFS "sector size", known as within ZFS as the recordsize is technically dynamic. It only enforces the maximum size, however the way CEPH writes and reads from objects (when working with smaller blocks, let's say 4k or 8k via rbd) with default settings seems to be affected by the recordsize. With the default 128K I've found lower IOPS and higher latency. Setting the recordsize too low will inflate various ZFS metadata, so it needs to be balanced against how your CEPH pool will be used.

For rbd pools(where small block performance may be important) a recordsize of 32K seems to be a good balance. For pure large object based use (rados, etc) the 128K default is fine, throughput is high(small block performance isn't important here). See following links for more info about recordsize: https://blogs.oracle.com/roch/entry/tuning_zfs_recordsize and https://www.joyent.com/blog/bruning-questions-zfs-record-size

2. XATTR - I didn't do much testing here, I've read that if you do not set xattr = sa on ZFS you will get poor performance. There were also stability issues in the past with xattr = sa on ZFS though it seems all resolved now and I have not encountered any issues myself. I'm unsure what the default setting is here, I always enable it.

Make sure you enable and set xattr = sa on ZFS.

3. ZIL(ZFS Intent Log, also known as the slog) is a MUST (even with a separate ceph journal) - It appears that while the ceph journal offloads/absorbs writes nicely and boosts performance, it does not consolidate writes enough for ZFS. Without a ZIL/SLOG your performance will be very sawtooth like (jumpy, stutter, aka fast then slow, fast than slow over a period of 10-15 seconds).

In theory tweaking the various ZFS TXG sync settings might work, but it is overly complicated to maintain and likely would only apply to the specific underlying disk model. Disabling sync also resolves this, though you'll lose the last TXG on a power failure - this might be okay with CEPH, but since I'm unsure I'll just assume it is not. IMHO avoid too much evil tuning, just add a ZIL/SLOG.

4. ZIL/SLOG + on-device ceph journal vs ZIL/SLOG + separate ceph journal - Performance is very similar, if you have a ZIL/SLOG you could easily get away without a separate ceph journal and leave it on the device/ZFS dataset. HOWEVER this causes HUGE amounts of fragmentation due to the CoW nature. After only a few days usage, performance tanked with the ceph journal on the same device.

I did find that if you partition and share device/SSD between both ZIL/SLOG and a separate ceph journal, the resulting performance is about the same in pure throughput/iops, though latency is slightly higher. This is what I do in my test cluster.

5. Fragmentation - once you hit around 80-90% disk usage your performance will start to slow down due to fragmentation. This isn't due to CEPH, it’s a known ZFS quirk due to its CoW nature. Unfortunately there is no defrag in ZFS, and likely never will be (the mythical block point rewrite unicorn you'll find people talking about).

There is one way to delay it and possibly avoid it however, enable metaslab_debug, this will put the ZFS spacemaps in memory, allowing ZFS to make better placements during CoW operations, but it does use more memory. See the following links for more detail about spacemaps and fragmentation: http://blog.delphix.com/uday/2013/02/19/78/ and http://serverfault.com/a/556892 and http://www.mail-archive.com/zfs-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg45408.html

There's alot more to ZFS and "things-to-know" than that (L2ARC uses ARC metadata space, dedupe uses ARC metadata space, etc), but as far as CEPH is cocearned the above is a good place to start. ZFS IMHO is a great solution, but it requires some time and effort to do it right.

Cheers,

Michal Kozanecki | Linux Administrator | E: mkozanecki@xxxxxxxxxx