Re: low power single disk nodes

We are getting ready to put the Quantas into production. We looked at
the Supermico Atoms (we have 6 of them), the rails were crap (they
exploded the first time you pull the server out, and they stick out of
the back of the cabinet about 8 inches, these boxes are already very
deep), we also ran out of CPU on these boxes and had limited PCI I/O).
They may work fine for really cold data. It may also work fine with
XIO and Infiniband. The Atoms still had pretty decent performance
given these limitations.

The Quantas removed some of the issues with NUMA, had much better PCI
I/O bandwidth, comes with a 10 Gb NIC on board. The biggest drawback
is that 8 drives is on a SAS controller and 4 drives are on a SATA
controller, plus SATADOM and a free port. So you have to manage two
different controller types and speeds (6Gb SAS and 3Gb SATA).

I'd say neither is perfect, but we decided on Quanta in the end.