low power single disk nodes

Hello ceph users,

Is anyone running any low powered single disk nodes with Ceph now? Calxeda seems to be no more according to Wikipedia. I do not think HP moonshot is what I am looking for - I want stand-alone nodes, not server cartridges integrated into server chassis. And I do not want to be locked to a single vendor.

I was playing with Raspberry Pi 2 for signage when I thought of my old experiments with Ceph.

I am thinking of for example Odroid-C1 or Odroid-XU3 Lite or maybe something with a low-power Intel x64/x86 processor. Together with one SSD or one low power HDD the node could get all power via PoE (via splitter or integrated into board if such boards exist). PoE provide remote power-on power-off even for consumer grade nodes.

The cost for a single low power node should be able to compete with traditional PC-servers price per disk. Ceph take care of redundancy.

I think simple custom casing should be good enough - maybe just strap or velcro everything on trays in the rack, at least for the nodes with SSD.

Kind regards,
--
Jerker Nyberg, Uppsala, Sweden.