Re: How to dispatch monitors in a multi-site cluster (ie in 2 datacenters)

On 04/13/2015 02:25 AM, Christian Balzer wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Apr 2015 14:37:56 -0700 Gregory Farnum wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 1:58 PM, Francois Lafont <flafdivers@xxxxxxx>
>> wrote:

>>> Yes, in fact, after thought, I have the first question below.
>>>
>>> If: (more clear with a schema is the head ;))
>>>
>>>     1. mon.1 and mon.2 can talk together (in dc1) and can talk with
>>> mon.5 (via the VPN) but can't talk with mon.3 and mon.4 (in dc2)
>>>     2. mon.3 and mon.4 can talk together (in dc2) and can talk with
>>> mon.5 (via the VPN) but can't talk with mon.1 and mon.2 (in dc1)
>>>     3. mon.5 can talk with mon.1, mon.2, mon.3, mon.4 and mon.5
>>>
>>> is the quorum reached? If yes, which is the quorum?
>>
>> Yes, you should get a quorum as mon.5 will vote for one datacenter or
>> the other. Which one it chooses will depend on which monitor has the
>> "lowest" IP address (I think, or maybe just the monitor IDs or
>> something? Anyway, it's a consistent ordering).
>
> Pet peeve alert. ^_-
>
> It's the lowest IP.

To be more precise, it's the lowest IP:PORT combination:

10.0.1.2:6789 = rank 0
10.0.1.2:6790 = rank 1
10.0.1.3:6789 = rank 3

and so on.

> Which is something that really needs to be documented (better) so that
> people can plan things accordingly and have the leader monitor wind up on
> the best suited hardware (in case not everything is being equal).
>
> Other than that, the sequence of how (initial?) mons are listed in
> ceph.conf would of course be the most natural, expected way to sort
> monitors.

I don't agree.  I find it hard to rely on ceph.conf for sensitive
decisions like this, because we must ensure that ceph.conf is the same
in all the nodes;  and I've seen this not being the case more often than
not.

On the other hand, I do agree that we should make it easier for people
to specify which monitors they want in the line of succession to the
leader, so that they can plan their clusters accordingly.  I do believe
we can set this on the monmap, ideally once the first quorum is formed;
something like:

ceph mon rank set mon.a 0
ceph mon rank set mon.b 2
ceph mon rank set mon.c 1

ceph mon rank list

  MON   IP:PORT       RANK     POLICY        STATUS
  mon.a 10.0.1.2:6789 rank 0  [set-by-user]  leader
  mon.c 10.0.1.3:6789 rank 1  [set-by-user]  peon
  mon.b 10.0.1.2:6790 rank 2  [set-by-user]  down
  mon.d 10.0.1.4:6789 rank 3  [default]      peon

Thoughts?

  -Joao