Re: How to dispatch monitors in a multi-site cluster (ie in 2 datacenters)

On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 1:58 PM, Francois Lafont <flafdivers@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Somnath Roy wrote:
>
>> Interesting scenario :-).. IMHO, I don't think cluster will be in healthy state here if the connections between dc1 and dc2 is cut. The reason is the following.
>>
>> 1. only osd.5 can talk to both data center  OSDs and other 2 mons will not be. So, they can't reach to an agreement (and form quorum) about the state of OSDs.
>>
>> 2. OSDs on dc1 and dc2 will not be able to talk to each other, considering replicas across data centers, the cluster will be broken.
>
> Yes, in fact, after thought, I have the first question below.
>
> If: (more clear with a schema is the head ;))
>
>     1. mon.1 and mon.2 can talk together (in dc1) and can talk with mon.5 (via the VPN)
>        but can't talk with mon.3 and mon.4 (in dc2)
>     2. mon.3 and mon.4 can talk together (in dc2) and can talk with mon.5 (via the VPN)
>        but can't talk with mon.1 and mon.2 (in dc1)
>     3. mon.5 can talk with mon.1, mon.2, mon.3, mon.4 and mon.5
>
> is the quorum reached? If yes, which is the quorum?

Yes, you should get a quorum as mon.5 will vote for one datacenter or
the other. Which one it chooses will depend on which monitor has the
"lowest" IP address (I think, or maybe just the monitor IDs or
something? Anyway, it's a consistent ordering). Under no circumstances
whatsoever will mon.5 help each datacenter create their own quorums at
the same time. The other data center will just be out of luck and
unable to do anything.
Although it's possible that the formed quorum won't be very stable
since the out-of-quorum monitors will probably keep trying to form a
quorum and that might make mon.5 unhappy. You should test what happens
with that kind of net split. :)
-Greg