Re: How to dispatch monitors in a multi-site cluster (ie in 2 datacenters)

Gregory Farnum wrote:

>> If: (more clear with a schema in the head ;))
>>
>>     1. mon.1 and mon.2 can talk together (in dc1) and can talk with mon.5 (via the VPN)
>>        but can't talk with mon.3 and mon.4 (in dc2)
>>     2. mon.3 and mon.4 can talk together (in dc2) and can talk with mon.5 (via the VPN)
>>        but can't talk with mon.1 and mon.2 (in dc1)
>>     3. mon.5 can talk with mon.1, mon.2, mon.3, mon.4 and mon.5
>>
>> is the quorum reached? If yes, which is the quorum?
>
> Yes, you should get a quorum as mon.5 will vote for one datacenter or
> the other. Which one it chooses will depend on which monitor has the
> "lowest" IP address (I think, or maybe just the monitor IDs or
> something? Anyway, it's a consistent ordering). Under no circumstances
> whatsoever will mon.5 help each datacenter create their own quorums at
> the same time. The other data center will just be out of luck and
> unable to do anything.

Ah ok, interesting information, finally I would bet on a no-quorum state,
but I was wrong.

> Although it's possible that the formed quorum won't be very stable
> since the out-of-quorum monitors will probably keep trying to form a
> quorum and that might make mon.5 unhappy.

Ok, so in fact the idea of an external monitor in WAN is a very bad
idea. ;)

> You should test what happens with that kind of net split. :)

Currently I can't. In fact, if I have asked the question it's because
we are thinking about some expansion and purchase of servers but
currently we are just thinking.

Thanks Greg for the answer.

--
François Lafont