Re: [a bit off-topic] Power usage estimation of hardware for Ceph

Hi Christian,

Christian Balzer wrote:

>> Sorry in advance for this thread not directly linked to Ceph. ;)
>> We are thinking about buying servers to build a ceph cluster and we
>> would like to have, if possible, a *approximative* power usage
>> estimation of these servers (this parameter could be important in
>> your choice):
>>
> In short, way, way, way too many variables.
> Which CPUs, HDDs/SSDs, PSUs.
> And a lightly loaded cluster/node will consume like 1/3rd of the power CPU
> wise than a very busy one does.

Yes indeed. It's just to have a very approximative idea.

>> 1. the 12xbays supermicro OSD node
>>    (here https://www.supermicro.com/solutions/datasheet_Ceph.pdf,
>>    page 2, model SSG-6027R-OSD040H in the table)
>>
> I'd really wish SM would revise that pamphlet, for nearly all the roles in
> there they have better suited models.
> And models that fill requirements not really covered in that sheet.

Ah, err... could you be more precise? Which models have you in the head?
Do you have links?

> If you're willing to take the 1:5 SSD journal to OSD ratio risk, as
> proposed by that configuration, why not go all out to a chassis that has 2
> hotswap bays in the back and 1:6. Much better density and you'll have
> journals and HDDs on different SATA buses.

I'm not sure to well understand: the model that I indicated in the link
above (page 2, model SSG-6027R-OSD040H in the table) already have hotswap
bays in the back, for OS drives.

>> 2. SC216-based chassis 2U, 24xbays 2.5" (like this one for instance
>>    http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/2U/216/SC216BA-R1K28LP.cfm)
>>

> At this level of density, you'd need about 24GHz combined CPU power to
> fully utilize the IOPS potentioal of a pure HDD based node.

Ok, can I consider that the general rule is ~1Ghz per OSD in HDD (no
separate journal)?

> The moment you add SSD journals to this picture, that number at _least_
> doubles, making it a potentially very power hungry unit.

So, if I understand well, I should estimate ~2Ghz per OSD with journal in
separate SSD. Is that correct?

> You'll also need a HBA/RAID card to connect up those 6 mini-SAS ports on
> the backplane.

Is a HBA/RAID systematically necessary?

Are there some hardware configurations where it could possible to consider
disks directly connected to the controller of the motherboard?

> If you're concerned about power, look at their X10 offerings with Titanium
> level PSUs and pick CPUs that are energy efficient while still having
> enough capacity to satisfy your IOPS needs.

Ok.

>> If someone here has a server as above, we would be curious to have
>> a appromative power usage estimation (for instance in volt-ampere).
>>
> A SM server (not running Ceph, but as a mailbox server being somewhat
> comparable) here with Platinum (94% efficiency supposedly) PSUs consumes
> while being basically idle 105W on the input side (100V in Japan) and 95W
> on the output side.
> This triples basically during peak utilization times.

Ok, thank you for your help Christian. :)

PS: it's curious your message doesn't appear in the archive:
http://www.mail-archive.com/ceph-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg18699.html

--
François Lafont