Re: running Qemu / Hypervisor AND Ceph on the same nodes

On 03/26/2015 12:13 PM, Quentin Hartman wrote:
That one big server sounds great, but it also sounds like a single point
of failure.

Absolutely, but I'm talking about folks who want dozens of these, not one.

It's also not cheap. I've been able to build this cluster
for about $1400 per node, including the 10Gb networking gear, which is

Think about how much that is per OSD, and consider power, cooling, and $/sqft of datacenter space. I would *love* it if folks would gravitate toward smaller nodes with fewer drives for Ceph. Dense nodes tend to be much more complicated and it's a hidden cost that folks often gloss over. Having said that, small nodes are absolutely more expensive per OSD as far as raw hardware and power/cooling goes.

less than what I see the _empty case_ you describe going for new. Even
used, the lowest I've seen (lacking trays at that price) is what I paid
for one of my nodes including CPU and RAM, and drive trays. So, it's
been a pretty inexpensive venture considering what we get out of it. I
have no per-node fault tolerance, but if one of my nodes dies, I just
restart the VMs that were on it somewhere else and wait for ceph to
heal. I also benefit from higher aggregate network bandwidth because I
have more ports on the wire. And better per-U cpu and RAM density (for
the money). *shrug* different strokes.

As for difficulty of management, any screwing around I've done has had
nothing to do with the converged nature of the setup, aside from
discovering and changing the one setting I mentioned. So, for me at
least, it's been a pretty well unqualified net win. I can imagine all
sorts of scenarios where that wouldn't be, but I think it's probably
debatable whether or not those constitute a common case. The higher node
count does add some complexity, but that's easily overcome with some
simple automation. Again though, that has no bearing on the converged
setup, it's just a factor of how much CPU and RAM we need for our use case.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't think the answer is as
cut and dry as you seem to think.

I don't want you to feel like I'm attacking your setup. I'm sure it works very well! I don't think we'd be able to convince many folks to adopt servers that only provide 3 OSDs per U though, converged or not.

Mark

QH

On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 9:36 AM, Mark Nelson <mnelson@xxxxxxxxxx