Re: All pools have size=3 but "MB data" and "MB used" ratio is 1 to 5

> You just need to go look at one of your OSDs and see what data is
> stored on it. Did you configure things so that the journals are using
> a file on the same storage disk? If so, *that* is why the "data used"
> is large.

I followed your suggestion and this is the result of my trobleshooting.

Each OSD controls a disk that is mounted in a folder with the name:

/var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-N

where N is the OSD number

The journal is stored on another disk drive. I have three extra SSD
drives per server, that I partitioned with 6 partitions each, and
those partitions are journal partitions.
I checked that the setup is correct because each
/var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-N/journal points correctly to another drive.

with "df -h" I see the folders where my OSD are mounted. The space
occupation looks well distributed among all OSDs as expected.

the data is always in a folder called:

/var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-N/current

I checked with the tool "ncdu" where the data is stored inside the
"current" folders.

in each OSD there is a folder with a lot of data called

/var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-N/current/meta

If I sum the MB for each "meta" folder that is more or less the extra
space that is consumed, leading to the 1 to 5 ratio.

the "meta" folder contains a lot of binary files, unreadable, but
looking at the file names it looks like it is where the versions of
the osdmap are stored.

but it is really a lot of "metadata".

I will start now to push a lot of data into the cluster to see if the
"metadata" grows a lot or stays costant.

There is a way to clean up old metadata ?

thanks

Saverio