Re: Implement replication network with live cluster

Thx Wido, I needed this confirmations - thanks!

On 4 March 2015 at 17:49, Wido den Hollander <wido@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 03/04/2015 05:44 PM, Robert LeBlanc wrote:
> If I remember right, someone has done this on a live cluster without
> any issues. I seem to remember that it had a fallback mechanism if the
> OSDs couldn't be reached on the cluster network to contact them on the
> public network. You could test it pretty easily without much impact.
> Take one OSD that has both networks and configure it and restart the
> process. If all the nodes (specifically the old ones with only one
> network) is able to connect to it, then you are good to go by
> restarting one OSD at a time.

In the OSDMap each OSD has a public and cluster network address. If the
cluster network address is not set, replication to that OSD will be done
over the public network.

So you can push a new configuration to all OSDs and restart them one by one.

Make sure the network is ofcourse up and running and it should work.

> On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 4:17 AM, Andrija Panic <andrija.panic@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm having a live cluster with only public network (so no explicit network
>> configuraion in the ceph.conf file)
>>
>> I'm wondering what is the procedure to implement dedicated
>> Replication/Private and Public network.
>> I've read the manual, know how to do it in ceph.conf, but I'm wondering
>> since this is already running cluster - what should I do after I change
>> ceph.conf on all nodes ?
>> Restarting OSDs one by one, or... ? Is there any downtime expected ? - for
>> the replication network to actually imlemented completely.
>>

>> Another related quetion:
>>
>> Also, I'm demoting some old OSDs, on old servers, I will have them all
>> stoped, but would like to implement replication network before actually
>> removing old OSDs from crush map - since lot of data will be moved arround.
>>
>> My old nodes/OSDs (that will be stoped before I implement replication
>> network) - do NOT have dedicated NIC for replication network, in contrast to
>> new nodes/OSDs. So there will be still reference to these old OSD in the
>> crush map.
>> Will this be a problem - me changing/implementing replication network that
>> WILL work on new nodes/OSDs, but not on old ones since they don't have
>> dedicated NIC ? I guess not since old OSDs are stoped anyway, but would like
>> opinion.
>>
>> Or perhaps i might remove OSD from crush map with prior seting of
>> nobackfill and   norecover (so no rebalancing happens) and then implement
>> replication netwotk?
>>

>> Sorry for old post, but...
>>
>> Thanks,
>> --