Ceph Hammer OSD Shard Tuning Test Results

Hi Everyone,

In the Ceph Dumpling/Firefly/Hammer SSD/Memstore performance comparison thread, Alexandre DERUMIER wondered if changing the default shard and threads per shard OSD settings might have a positive effect on performance in our tests. I went back and used one of the PCIe SSDs from our previous tests to experiment with a recent master pull. I wanted to know how performance was affected by changing these parameters and also to validate that the default settings still appear to be correct.

I plan to conduct more tests (potentially across multiple SATA SSDs in the same box), but these initial results seem to show that the default settings that were chosen are quite reasonable.

Mark