Centos 7 OSD silently fail to start

I have tried to install ceph using ceph-deploy but sgdisk seems to
have too many issues so I did a manual install. After mkfs.btrfs on
the disks and journals and mounted them I then tried to start the osds
which failed. The first error was:
#/etc/init.d/ceph start osd.0
/etc/init.d/ceph: osd.0 not found (/etc/ceph/ceph.conf defines ,
/var/lib/ceph defines )

I then manually added the osds to the conf file with the following as
an example:
[osd.0]
    osd_host = node01

Now when I run the command :
# /etc/init.d/ceph start osd.0

There is no error or output from the command and in fact when I do a
ceph -s no osds are listed as being up.
Doing as ps aux | grep -i ceph or ps aux | grep -i osd shows there are
no osd running.
I also have done htop to see if any process are running and none are shown.

I had this working on SL6.5 with Firefly but Giant on Centos 7 has
been nothing but a giant pain.