Re: Ceph Dumpling/Firefly/Hammer SSD/Memstore performance comparison

>>I don't have really good insight yet into how tweaking these would
>>affect single-osd performance. I know the PCIe SSDs do have multiple
>>controllers on-board so perhaps increasing the number of shards would
>>improve things, but I suspect that going too high could maybe start
>>hurting performance as well. Have you done any testing here? It could
>>be an interesting follow-up paper.

I think it should be tunned regarding number of osds and number of cores you have.
I have done test in past with sommath values

osd_op_num_threads_per_shard = 1
osd_op_num_shards = 25
filestore_fd_cache_size = 64
filestore_fd_cache_shards = 32

But don't have take time to try differents values.
But I was to be able to reach 120000iops 4k read with 3osd if I remember. (But I was limited by client cpu)

I'm going to do big benchmark next month (3 nodes (20cores) with 6ssd each),
So I'll try to test different sharding values, with different number of osd.

Thanks! I didn't tweak the sharding settings at all, so they are just
at the default values:

OPTION(osd_op_num_threads_per_shard, OPT_INT, 2)
OPTION(osd_op_num_shards, OPT_INT, 5)

I don't have really good insight yet into how tweaking these would
affect single-osd performance. I know the PCIe SSDs do have multiple
controllers on-board so perhaps increasing the number of shards would
improve things, but I suspect that going too high could maybe start
hurting performance as well. Have you done any testing here? It could
be an interesting follow-up paper.

Mark