Re: Status of SAMBA VFS

On Fri, 6 Feb 2015, Gregory Farnum wrote:

On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 6:39 AM, Dennis Kramer (DT) <dennis@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've used the upstream module for our production cephfs cluster, but i've
noticed a bug where timestamps aren't being updated correctly. Modified
files are being reset to the beginning of Unix time.

It looks like this bug only manifest itself in applications like MS Office
where extra metadata is added to files. If I for example modify a text file
in notepad everything is working fine, but when I modify a docx (or .xls for
that matter), the timestamp is getting a reset to 1-1-1970.
You can imagine that this could be a real dealbreaker for production use
(think of backups/rsyncs based on mtimes which will render useless).

Further more the return values for free/total disk space is also not working
correctly when you mount a share in Windows. My 340TB cluster had 7.3EB
storage available in Windows ;) This could be fixed with a workaround by
using a custom "dfree command =" script in the smb.conf, but VFS will
override this and thus this script will not work (unless you remove the
lines of codes for these disk operations in vfs_ceph.c).

My experience with the VFS module is pretty awesome nonetheless. I really
noticed an improvement in throughput when using this module instead of an
re-export with the kernel client. So I hope the VFS module will be
maintained actively again any time soon.

Can you file bugs for these? The timestamp one isn't anything I've
heard of before.
The weird free space on Windows actually does sound familiar; I think
it has to do with either Windows or the Samba/Windows interface not
handling our odd block sizes properly...
-Greg

Sure, just point me in the right direction for these bug reports.

It's true BTW, IIRC Windows defaults to 1024k block size for calculating the free/total space, but this could be managed by the vfs module. Windows only expects two mandatory values, available- and total space in bytes and optionally the block size as a third value.