From: ceph-users [mailto:ceph-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Bruce McFarland
Sent: Monday, February 02, 2015 3:39 PM
To: Mykola Golub; Udo Lembke
Cc: ceph-users@xxxxxxxx; Prashanth Nednoor
Subject: Re:  RBD caching on 4K reads???

I'm still missing something. I can check on the monitor to see that the running config on the cluster has rbd cache = false

[root@essperf13 ceph]# ceph --admin-daemon /var/run/ceph/ceph-mon.essperf13.asok config show | grep rbd
  "debug_rbd": "0\/5",
  "rbd_cache": "false",

Since rbd caching is a client setting I've added the following to the rbd client /etc/ceph/ceph.conf

[global]
log file = /var/log/ceph/rbd.log
rbd cache = false
rbd readahead max bytes = 0  "should be" disabled if rbd cache = false, but I'm paranoid

 [client]
admin socket = /var/run/ceph/rbd-$pid.asok

I never see a rbd*asok file in /var/run/ceph. I started the rbd driver on the client without /var/run/ceph directory and then see:
2015-02-02 14:40:30.254509 7f81888257c0 -1 asok(0x7f8189182390) AdminSocketConfigObs::init: failed: AdminSocket::bind_and_listen: failed to bind the UNIX domain socket to '/var/run/ceph/rbd-1716.asok': (2) No such file or directory

When I attempt to map the rbd image to the client device with "rbd map". Once I create /var/run/ceph these messages don't occur. So it appears that the admin sockets are being created, but only for the duration of the command.

I still see the effects of rbd caching if I run fio/vdbench with 4K random reads, but I have not been able to create a persistant rbd admin socket so that I can dump the running configuration and/or change it at run time.

Any ideas on what I've overlooked?

Any pointers to documentation on the [client] section of ceph.conf? rbd admin sockets? Nothing at ceph.com/docs on either topic.
Thanks,
Bruce