Re: RBD caching on 4K reads???

The ceph daemon isn’t running on the client with the rbd device so I can’t verify if it’s disabled at the librbd level on the client. If you mean on the storage nodes I’ve had some issues dumping the config. Does the rbd caching occur on the storage nodes, client, or both?

From: Udo Lembke [mailto:ulembke@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2015 1:00 PM
To: Bruce McFarland; ceph-users@xxxxxxxx
Cc: Prashanth Nednoor
Subject: Re: RBD caching on 4K reads???

Hi Bruce,
hmm, sounds for me like the rbd cache.
Can you look, if the cache is realy disabled in the running config with

ceph --admin-daemon /var/run/ceph/ceph-osd.0.asok config show | grep cache

Udo

On 30.01.2015 21:51, Bruce McFarland wrote:

I have a cluster and have created a rbd device - /dev/rbd1. It shows up as expected with ‘rbd –image test info’ and rbd showmapped. I have been looking at cluster performance with the usual Linux block device tools – fio and vdbench. When I look at writes and large block sequential reads I’m seeing what I’d expect with performance limited by either my cluster interconnect bandwidth or the backend device throughput speeds – 1 GE frontend and cluster network and 7200rpm SATA OSDs with 1 SSD/osd for journal. Everything looks good EXCEPT 4K random reads. There is caching occurring somewhere in my system that I haven’t been able to detect and suppress - yet.

I’ve set ‘rbd_cache=false’ in the [client] section of ceph.conf on the client, monitor, and storage nodes. I’ve flushed the system caches on the client and storage nodes before test run ie vm.drop_caches=3 and set the huge pages to the maximum available to consume free system memory so that it can’t be used for system cache . I’ve also disabled read-ahead on all of the HDD/OSDs.

When I run a 4k randon read workload on the client the most I could expect would be ~100iops/osd x number of osd’s – I’m seeing an order of magnitude greater than that AND running IOSTAT on the storage nodes show no read activity on the OSD disks.

Any ideas on what I’ve overlooked? There appears to be some read-ahead caching that I’ve missed.

Thanks,

Bruce