Re: CEPH BackUPs

On Fri, 30 Jan 2015 01:22:53 +0200 Georgios Dimitrakakis wrote:

>  Urged by a previous post by Mike Winfield where he suffered a leveldb
>  loss
>  I would like to know which files are critical for CEPH operation and
>  must
>  be backed-up regularly and how are you people doing it?

Aside from probably being quite hard/disruptive to back up a monitor
leveldb, it will also be quite pointless, as it constantly changes.

This is why one has at least 3 monitors on different machines that are on
different UPS backed circuits and storing things on SSDs that are also
power failure proof.
And if a monitor gets destroyed like that, the official fix suggested by
the Ceph developers is to re-create it from scratch and let it catch up to
the "good" monitors.

That being said, aside from a backup of the actual data on the cluster
(which is another challenge), one wonders if in Mike's case a "RBD FSCK"
of sorts can be created that is capable of restoring things based on the
actual data still on the OSDs.

Christian
chibi@xxxxxxx   	Global OnLine Japan/Fusion Communications
http://www.gol.com/