Re: chattr +i not working with cephfs

On Wed, 28 Jan 2015, John Spray wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 5:23 PM, Gregory Farnum <greg@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > My concern is whether we as the FS are responsible for doing anything
> > more than storing and returning that immutable flag ? are we supposed
> > to block writes to anything that has it set? That could be much
> > trickier...
>
> The VFS layer is checking the flag for us, but some filesystems do
> have paths where they need to do their own too (e.g. XFS has various
> ioctls that do explicit checks too).  It's also up to us to publish
> the S_IMMUTABLE bit to the i_flags attribute of the generic inode,
> based on wherever/however we store the flag ourselves.
>
> Fuse doesn't seem to have a path for us to update i_flags though, so
> it might be that we either have to extend that interface or do the
> checking ourselves in userspace in order to support it there.

It seems like we should be checking S_IMMUTABLE in the MDS and,
when set, refusing to issue write caps.  We probably also need a check in
the clients so that they return EROFS (I assume?) instead of waiting for
said caps...

In any case, I don't think relying on clients to cooperate is quite the
level protection S_IMMUTABLE users are looking for?

sage